How to Choose the Right Divorce Attorney
Make the Right Choice with Arami Law
Choosing a lawyer you can depend on to help you through your divorce can be a challenging process, but it’s absolutely worth taking the time to ensure you pick the right legal professional to represent you.
Your first step should be to figure out what exactly your need your attorney to help you accomplish. If you have a poor relationship with your spouse and expect some significant litigation, you might opt for a different lawyer than if you were going through a simpler, uncontested divorce. If your estate has a lot of complicated tax and financial matters, it could have a different impact on your decision than if your affairs were relatively simple.
Once you’ve determined your own goals, you can start analyzing potential attorneys. The following are a few factors you should consider to help you narrow your search to a few solid candidates:
- Experience. You want your lawyers to have at least a few years of experience in the area of family law and divorce.
- Reputation. Look for reviews of the lawyers’ services online from previous clients. You should also look for their standing with state bar organizations and other professional groups, and do a general background check through Google searches. Finally, ask for references from people who have experience working with the attorney.
- Availability. How able and/or willing are the attorneys to meet with you? Are they generally accessible, or does it take a lot of work to get an appointment scheduled? You should never have to feel as though you’re jumping through hoops to get the attention of your lawyer.
- Proximity. Except in special circumstances, you’ll likely want the services of an attorney who has a nearby office for your convenience.
- Special needs. Do you need a multilingual attorney, for example? Or a lawyer who can come to you? If so, these are factors you will need to consider in your search.
If you’re going through a divorce in the Chicago area, consider working with the experienced family lawyer at Arami Law, call us at 312-212-1399 or contact us online to get started.