Melrose Park Divorce Lawyers

Resolving Life's Challenges to Get You to a BETTER PLACE

Experienced Melrose Park Divorce Lawyers You Can Count On

To begin the process of filing for divorce, one party must submit a petition to the local Circuit Court as well as to his or her spouse. It is then up to the spouse who received the petition, or the respondent, to send an answer containing his or her response to the allegations. Failing to answer within the appropriate time frame can lead to the court issuing a default judgment, in which case the respondent will lose his or her right to pursue property division or a specific child custody arrangement. Sending an appropriate response is critical to the divorce process, so if you recently received a notice of divorce and have questions or concerns about your next steps, it is critical to contact an experienced Melrose Park divorce attorney who can walk you through the process.

Legal Requirements

An answer to a petition for dissolution serves a number of important purposes, including as:

  • An acknowledgment that a divorce petition has been received; and
  • An initial statement asserting the respondent’s agreement with or denial of the allegations and suggestions made in a petition.

To ensure that these purposes are fulfilled, a respondent’s answer should clearly state his or her position regarding the other spouse’s statements or proposals. Often, agreement or disagreement can be declared on a pre-printed form through checking boxes in sections that corresponds with specific statements made in the petition. However, these forms also leave space for a written explanation of the respondent’s answers as well as any of the respondent’s own suggestions.

Respondents have 30 days in which to answer the initial petition, after which a hearing will be scheduled by the court.

Default Judgments

If a respondent receives a petition for divorce and does not provide an answer within the allotted time, the petitioner can file a motion requesting a default judgment. In most cases, the court will assume that because the other spouse did not respond, he or she agrees to the petitioner’s terms and a default judgment will be entered. However, a respondent may be able to have the judgment set aside, if he or she files a motion within thirty days of the judgment.

Contact Arami Law to Speak With an Experienced Melrose Park Divorce Attorney

Dissolving a marriage and dividing marital assets can be a complex, time-consuming, and expensive process. Adhering to the court’s procedural guidelines and filing dates is critical to helping this process go as smoothly and quickly as possible. Unfortunately, many people are unaware of their legal obligations regarding a divorce petition and so miss out on the opportunity to take part in the proceedings. Speaking with a dedicated attorney can help avoid these types of issues, so if you live in Melrose Park and were recently served a petition for divorce, please contact us at the Arami Law by calling (312) 584-6355 or by completing one of our standard contact forms, including your name, phone number, email address, and a brief description of your case, and we’ll have a member of our legal team help you set up a consultation.

“For anyone reading this and looking for a great family law firm to hire, go with the best, Arami Law.”

- B.A. Lincoln
Choose Arami Law, Inc.

Six Ways That We Stand Apart

  • Available 24/7 by Phone
  • Exclusively Focused on Family Law
  • Each Case is Given Personal Attention
  • Tailored Solutions for Each Client
  • Reasonable & Fair Approaches
  • Equipped for Trial
Request Your Consultation

The Beginning to a Happier You

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.