Cook County Child Custody Modification Lawyer

Resolving Life's Challenges to Get You to a BETTER PLACE


Child Custody Modification Attorney Assisting Parents in Cook County

Illinois child custody law changed a few years ago so that parents no longer are awarded child custody and visitation. Instead, parental responsibilities are allocated according to the terms of a parenting plan developed by both parties, or through an allocation judgment when the parents cannot reach an agreement. Parental responsibilities include both parenting time in which the parent provides caretaking functions for the child, as well as signification decision-making responsibilities.

When the parents create a parenting plan or the court issues an allocation judgment, the parties are providing information about their situations that is accurate at that point in time. Illinois law recognizes that the needs of both a child and a parent can change, and that life circumstances change. For example, one parent might be offered a new job, requiring relocation with the child. When there is a significant change in circumstances, one of the parents can seek a modification. A dedicated Cook County child custody modification lawyer at our firm is here to work with you on your case.

When and How Can Child Custody Arrangements Be Modified?

To start the process of modifying child custody arrangements, the parent seeking the modification will need to file a petition for modification.

The process for modifying a parenting plan or an allocation judgment is easier if both parents agree to the modification. The statute specifically states that the court can modify an existing parenting plan or allocation judgment without a showing of changed circumstances as long as the modification is in the best interests of the child and one of the following is true:

  • Modification reflects the child’s actual arrangement for the previous six months;
  • Modification requested is only a minor modification;
  • Modification is necessary to modify an existing parenting plan or allocation judgment that the court would not have approved if it had had all of the facts; or
  • Both parties (both parents) agree to the modification.

When one of the above conditions is not met, then the parent seeking a modification will need to show changed circumstances. Examples of changed circumstances might be a significant shift in the parent’s job, a change in the parent’s work schedule, or another matter that requires modification. No matter what, a modification must be in the child’s best interest.

How Can a Cook County Child Custody Modification Lawyer Help With My Case?

A Cook County child custody lawyer can help to ensure that you have an advocate on your side throughout your child custody case, from the allocation of parental responsibilities to modifications that become necessary months or years later.

The advocates at Arami Law have years of experience helping families in Cook County with a wide variety of family law cases, including complex child custody matters.

Contact a Child Custody Modification Lawyer in Cook County Today

Child custody cases can get extremely complicated and contentious, and modifications to allocation judgments and parenting plans can be difficult. A child custody modification lawyer in Cook County can assist you with your case. Do not hesitate to get in touch with the advocates at Arami Law to learn more about our services. Contact us today to speak with a lawyer about your case.

“For anyone reading this and looking for a great family law firm to hire, go with the best, Arami Law.”

- B.A. Lincoln
Choose Arami Law, Inc.

Six Ways That We Stand Apart

  • Available 24/7 by Phone
  • Exclusively Focused on Family Law
  • Each Case is Given Personal Attention
  • Tailored Solutions for Each Client
  • Reasonable & Fair Approaches
  • Equipped for Trial
Request Your Consultation

The Beginning to a Happier You

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.